Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lots of things I still need to catch up on

Lots of things I still need to catch up on, but what do I ever do? Things that never seem to do much to fulfill my obligations. Now today, coming up on the holiday, my mandate is to get all the stacks of books and boxes of books that I brought upstairs when the water heater sprang a leak took back down to the cellar. I was hoping to grab this chance to get things organized better, maybe get some of the boxed books cataloged, maybe re-catalog the loose books -- and get them listed on the sites where much of my bookselling now happens (amazon, biblio.com, and half.com). But a couple weeks later, I've made scant progress. Still, if I could just keep plugging away, even though things might continue to slide downhill, at least some good things might keep happening. Maybe it's the autist in me, but I find that when I get started on something, I do tend to keep doing that thing, not necessarily to completion but certainly to the exclusion of other things, including higher-priority things. The process of making book listings is not very time-friendly. All the steps in the process do gobble up the time, as any Internet user can relate to I'm sure.
 But I better get started, here are some listing revisions for today:
Drew, Wayland THE ERTHRING CYCLE, SFBC, nd (code Q35 on p656), (3-in-1 omnibus edn; collects The Memoirs of Alcheringia, The Gaian Expedient & The Master of Norriya; 659 pages), vg+ in dj 6.00 [10%]
Yolen, Jane SISTER EMILY'S LIGHTSHIP and Other Stories, Tor, 8/01, (twenty-eight magical tales, including three written especially for this collection and two Nebula Award winners), new 13.95 [30% discount still, but I'm thinking about dropping it to 25% or even dropping it entirely -- most of my "new" books (i.e. uncirculated and as received from mass-market publishers) are pushing a decade or more old now. Amazon give better discounts than I can on current books, and by now the older books can be had for next to nothing from their sellers, including me, but sometimes, if you want a book preserved in actual new condition from earlier days, maybe a 30% discount from the original selling price might be going a bit too far] 
Lorrah, Jean BLOOD WILL TELL, BenBella, 4/03, (winner of the Lord Ruthven Award for Best Vampire Novel and also winner of the LORIE Award for Best Paranormal Romance), new 14.95 
Wilson, F. Paul ALL THE RAGE, Forge, 10/00, 1st trade edn, (first published in a limited edition by Gauntlet Press; Repairman Jack novel; sequel to The Tomb), new in dj 25.95 
Olsen, Lance FREAKNEST, Wordcraft of Oregon, 9/00, 1st edn, (feral children, illicit nano-drugs, false memories, televisual consciousness, Dickensian 2023 London), new $12


No comments: