Wednesday, March 24, 2010
My own coffee this morning, pick up mail accumulation and exonerate the kitties, then get on all that stuff that I should have got done before I left, and see what might have come along since. Meanwhile, home alone for a couple days. Can play music, at least.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
this lengthy mail details all that is new in the world of Side Real Press and is split into various sections.Hanns Ewers 'Alraune' now available.Side Real Press is very pleased to announce that Alraune is now availble for pre-order with shipping due to begin March 21st. Having now seen all the proofs, we believe this will our most beautiful title to date. Full details below.World Horror Convention.Side Real will be selling their titles at The World Horror Convention http://www.whc2010.org/ (25-28 March) in Brighton. We look forward to meeting friends old and new.Mrs Molesworth - Collected Ghost Stories. 16 copies found.In digging out boxes of books we found ONE box (ie: 16 copies) of the first Side Real Press book 'Collected ghost Stories' by Mrs Molesworth. These really are the last copies of this (long thought) deleted title. We are offering them up to individual buyers prior to taking them to Brighton. (Cost £30.00 UK; £35.00 elsewhere incl airmail postage). Of course the extra photo will be tipped in.We will be astonished if we have any copies after March 28th.Side Real Website.Visitors to the website will notice it looks somewhat different to the past version. Though it is primarily cosmetic, but you may find the area: 'Side Real Extras', of interest.This is for material unique to Side Real Press and not available elsewhere online. Its initial contents will be:
- John Hirschhorn-Smiths introduction to Ewers life and work previously published in 'Nachtmahr' with a few extra illustrations not in the book version. We believe it to be the fullest overview in English.
- Extracts from Hanns Ewers U.S. secret service files. Ewers was investigated by the U.S. authorities for his propaganda spying activites during WW1, and was ultimately interned. Side Real Press have obtained a copy of this file, which runs to over 80 pages, and post the most interesting portions online.
- Karin Wikoffs 1995 Masters thesis on Hanns Ewers novel 'Vampire'. 'Vampire' has a very interesting history and this thesis is the fullest account of that to date. We are very grateful to Karin Wikoff for allowing us to reprint it.
- John Hirschhorn-Smiths introduction to Mrs. Molesworths life and work previously published in 'Collected Ghost Stories'. A useful overview of this Victorian author.
These SHOULD all be uploaded by Mar 21st but some may already be available.Side Real Press would be very interested to hear from others who may wish to contribute to this section of the website.Forthcoming titles.We can announce that our next book will almost certainly be Hanns Heinz Ewers' 'The Sorcerers Apprentice'. Joe E. Bandel informs us that this Ewers volume was not badly mangled in its original translation but there are various small ommisions and errors, which he is painstakingly correcting, to make this volume the definitive edition. The Side Real Press edition, will of course contain extra material. More details to follow.
More importantly he is working towards a new edition of Hanns Ewers 'Vampir'. There are thought to be approximately 100 PAGES MISSING from the only previous translation due to censorship by person(s) unknown. As you might imagine this restoration is some time away. Side Real Press is proud and privilaged to be working in conjunction with this talented and dedicated translator to present this very strange novel in a full, and definitive, edition.There are also some other (non Ewers) projects in progress.A call for submissions.Finally, we feel that Ewers is an inspirational writer and are planning an anthology of short stories based around his themes and ideas. Submissions are now being accepted. Closing date 31st October 2010. Stories should, of course, be previously unpublished. Please e-mail if you wish further infomation.
OUR LATEST TITLE
HANNS HEINZ EWERS 'ALRAUNE'
A new, fully restored, uncensored translation by Joe E. Bandel350 numbered copies (with Free Extras).
Cost for the U.K. is £30.00 incl. postage.
Cost elsewhere is £35.00 which includes airmail postage and packing.'Alraune' (first published in 1911) was Ewers' best selling novel, and is a (sort of) melding of the Frankenstein theme & Mandrake legend, injected with Ewers recurring interests in abherrent sexuality, perversity and violence, both physical and moral.This entirely new translation supercedes the previous edition from the John Day Company (1929), by including passages previously excised (by U.S. censors?) from the Ewers' original German text, as well as a myriad other minor amendments and corrections, which combine to make this new version a far more graphic and intense reading experience.
It also retains the wonderful Mahlon Blaine endpapers, chapter headings, initial letters and illustrations from the John Day edition, which are generally regarded as some of his best work. PLUS illustrations by Ilna Wunderwald Ewers from the original German edition.There are also three new essays illuminating aspects of this volume by Mark Samuels, Tyler Davis and Joe E. Bandel.
- An extra presentation 1929 frontispiece drawing by Mahlon Blaine.
- The Root of Evil; Hanns Heinz Ewers and 'Alraune' by Mark Samuels.
- 'Alraunes' Allure by Tyler Davis.
- ‘Translating 'Alraune' by Joe E. Bandel.
- ‘Galeotto' - a previously untranslated poem by Hanns Ewers - Translated by Joe E. Bandel.
- ‘Alraune - the fully restored version translated by Joe E. Bandel.
- Illustrations - from the original 1911 German edition - by Ilna Wunderwald Ewers.
The book is printed in black with red titles and initial letters throughout.
The cover is printed in three colours directly onto the book cloth and is uniform in design with Side Real Press' previous volume 'Nachtmahr'.
In addition to this, individuals who order directly from the Press will receive an additional tipped in bookplate designed for Hanns Ewers for his own library embossed with the Side Real logo.
This bookplate will NOT be available anywhere except for copies via Side Real Press and Joe Bandel - see below!Those based in the U.S. wishing 'Alraune' may wish to buy their copy via its translator Joe E. Bandel. http://hannsheinzewers.wordpress.com/ He will have a limited number of copies available, all of which will include the extra bookplate,and will additionally be signed by him. Please be aware that Side Real Press have to ship his copies to him from the U.K. and thus availability from him will somewhat later.
and thank you for your support.
Side Real Press.
- ▼ 2010 (10)
- ► 2009 (15)