Sunday, February 28, 2010

FAQ: Do you buy used books?

Email rec'd:
Dear Chris Drumm books. Do you buy used books? I know I've bought a lot of used books from you in the past, and am hoping you still need some more. Please let me know if you're interested, and any necessary information.
My reply:
I'm not that much in the market for picking up used books now that I no longer send out printed-paper catalogs. I still like to acquire good books, but I presently have way more than I can keep up with in cataloging (though not all necessarily so good). I haven't officially ended my consignment scheme. A few people still get rid of their excess by sending it to me, and I try to do the right thing with it, or at least I want to try -- and I do enjoy receiving (most of) them -- but since my sales of particular titles is so hit or miss -- mostly miss -- I can't in good conscience recommend myself as the best repository.
One idea that might be something to try, if you have a list of what you're wanting to get rid of, I could copy it onto my bookselling blog and see if that excites any interest. But I wouldn't harbor much in the way of expectations.

No comments: